Career In Marine Biology In India
Marine Biology is the science that deals with animals and plants that live in the sea.
Marine biology is closely related to the science of oceanography as the relationship between the physical features of the oceans to the living organisms that dwell in them. It aids in understanding marine geology through studying those organisms that contribute their skeletal remains to the floors of the oceans or that elaborate the vast coral reefs of the tropic seas.
Some marine Biologists may work on algae and other microorganisms, while others may concentrate on large animals like fish. Marine Biologists study core subjects like Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Ecology, Mathematics, Geology, and Anthropology and apply this knowledge to studying oceans and ocean life forms.
Before you are the short summary of the marine biology course:
Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology
Master of Science in Marine Biology
Certificate courses in Marine Biology
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Marine Biology
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Marine Biology
Duration: 6 months – 3 years
Eligibility – 10 + 2
Admission Procedure – Merit and entrance based
Types of Marine Biologists: Ocean Engineering, Research technician, Marine Environment Economist
Skills: Numerical and statistics skills, Practical fieldwork skills, Good observation skills and Patience.
Various Marine Biology Courses in India
Certificate courses in Marine Biology – 6 months
Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology – 3 years
Master of Science in Marine Biology – 2 years
Master of Science (M.Sc.) – 2 years
Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) in Marine Biology – 2 years
Doctor of Philosophy(PhD) in Marine Biology – 3 years
How to get admission to Marine Biology Course?
- 10+2 in the science stream with biology as additional subjects are eligible.
The candidate should score a minimum of 55% during their 10+2 exams.
Direct admissions based on cut-offs are given in a few colleges.
- Candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree in life sciences such as botany, aquaculture, marine biology, zoology, biochemistry, microbiology and biotechnology with a minimum of 55-60% aggregate marks for postgraduation. Universities offering M.Sc./M. Phil conducts their entrance exam for admission. Selection is based on the performance of the candidates in the entrance examination.
- The students who have accomplished their MSc with at least 55% marks can apply for a PhD with preferable specialisations Marine Biology, Zoology, Botany, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Fisheries, and Life Science.
The following is the eligibility criteria for students who want to pursue undergraduate marine biology course:
The following are the eligibility criteria for an undergraduate course in marine biology:
|Age Limit||The minimum age limit is 17 years.|
|Qualification||10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 55% in the science stream, with biology as an additional subject.|
|Qualifying Entrance Exam||Merit-based, though some colleges conduct entrance examinations for admission, and those who clear the exam are selected.|
The following are the eligibility criteria for a postgraduate course in marine biology:
|Qualification||Candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree in life sciences such as botany, aquaculture, marine biology, zoology, biochemistry, microbiology and biotechnology with a minimum of 55-60% aggregate marks for a bachelor’s degree.|
|Qualifying Entrance Exam||Selection is based on the performance of the candidates in the entrance examination.|
The following are the eligibility criteria for the PhD course in marine biology:
|Qualification||The students who have accomplished their MSc with at least 55% marks can apply for this course with preferable specialisations Marine Biology, Zoology, Botany, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Fisheries, and Life Science.|
|Qualifying Entrance Exam||Admissions are held through entrance examinations(UGC NET, CSIR NET, AURCET) and personal interviews.|
Some of the Top Marine Biology Colleges in India –
Indian Maritime University Coimbatore
Shivaji University Kolhapur
Goa University Goa
Andhra University Vishakhapatnam
Annamalai University Tamilnadu
Top Recruiters for Marine Biology
- The following are the top recruiters for marine biology courses:
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute
- Central Institute of Brackish Water Aquaculture
- Meteorological Survey of India
- Department of Oceanography
- Geological Survey of India
- National Institute of Oceanography
- Pfizer Inc
- Vertex Infosoft Solution Pvt Ltd